The Ventura Hillsides Conservancy is a nonprofit land trust operating in the Ventura region since 1998. We currently manage 60 acres of permanently protected open space in the Ventura River, and are in negotiations to purchase another 300 acres of prime hillside property.
Our mission is to protect and conserve open space resources through acquisition of land and easements, stewardship of protected lands, and public education about local natural resources.
To accomplish our mission, the Ventura Hillsides Conservancy has adopted the following objective and purpose statements into the Bylaws:
- To preserve, protect, and enhance the environmental, natural, wildlife habitat, scenic, recreational, and cultural values of such lands
- To acquire, through gift, purchase, or other lawful means, interest in real property as necessary to protect such values which may include but are not limited to scenic quality, wildlife habitat and ecological integrity, and managed public access and recreational opportunities
- To monitor, and where appropriate to manage directly, the real property interests acquired by the corporation in a manner consistent with its purposes, with the protection of private property rights, and with applicable laws and regulations of all governing jurisdictions
- To provide education and information to the public and government agencies on matters related to land preservation and conservation
- To collaborate with public and private organizations and property owners for the purpose of natural resource restoration or enhancement. This collaboration may include landscape construction, revegetation, and provision of amenities for public access to and education about natural resources
- To receive, hold, and disburse contributions, gifts, grants, real and personal properties, bequests, devises and other funds for these purposes